Sunday, August 23, 2015

Our New "Old" Cat Carrier

A few years ago, I bought a cat carrier that was put together by using metal screws. It was easy take off the top part if necessary and it was VERY sturdy! I loved it and still use it to this day.

Well, about a month or so ago, I went looking for another one like it, but to no avail. The only kind I could find at the pet stores (Petsmart, Petco, Pet Max, etc.) were the clip together carriers. I wasn't too crazy about them at all because:

A. They were way too expensive! and;
B. The whole entire idea of holding your cat or dog safely inside a carrier box by only a couple of "clips" did not sound like a very good or sound idea to me!



Turns out, I was definitely right (especially about B.) and I will tell you all why. We used it once (and only once!) to take our cat, Kiki to her vet appointment. After we arrived back home with her, my hubby grabbed the handle on the carrier to get her out of the car and in the house. The clips did not hold together well enough and suddenly the bottom dropped out from under her! Which left me terrified that she would run off scared and we would never see her again and her in such shock she just stood in the middle of our our driveway paralyzed for a few seconds and then, thankfully, ran in front of the garage door as if she was trying to get back into the house! Hubby slowly walked toward her and gently picked her up and took her inside. Close call! And I have never used that horribly unsafe carrier since then. Nor will I advise anyone else to purchase one for their beloved pet!

So, Thursday afternoon I searched on-line and found another carrier very similar to our old one and made just as sturdy ...

 
 
These carriers are extremely good and last a long time. With five cats, we use our carriers pretty hard and our old one is still serving us well after all these years! LOVE THESE and would definitely recommend them to anyone!

2 comments:

  1. Lesson learned and thankfully without harm to Kiki.
    Thank you, Kim for warning other pet owners~

    Bright Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. April Andrews said ...

    I have the same blue crates, but in a bigger size. I have used them with dogs being flown, dog bedrooms, ducks, chickens, geese and even Shetland sheep babies. They are so sturdy and I won't use anything else!

    ReplyDelete